Volunteers play an important role in helping Rady Children’s give the best care to our patients and families. We know volunteering here can give you a wonderful sense of satisfaction – and we’re proud to offer a Volunteer Services program that maintains the standards of excellence for which Rady Children’s is known.
Due to our extensive training and dedication to quality, all our volunteers are asked to make a one-year commitment (100 hours) to volunteer within the Hospital.
Is volunteering right for me? Please use our self assessment tool to determine the best fit for your service.
See a listing of Volunteer Roles at Rady Children’s.
How to Apply to Volunteer
Download a Printable Volunteer Application Form or call 858-966-4021.
2. Send your completed form to:
RCHSD Volunteer Services
3020 Children’s Way, MC 5086
San Diego, CA 92123-4282
3. Application forms are processed in the order in which they are received.
4. Completed application forms are reviewed by Volunteer Services staff.
5. Volunteers selected for further consideration will be required to submit references. Prospective volunteers will be notified of the next steps approximately 2 - 3 weeks after references are submitted.
6. Volunteers are also required to have a two-step TB test and Background Check prior to starting their assignments. More detailed information will be provided at the interview.
Rady Children's Junior Volunteer program is open to high school students who are at least 16 years old. Junior volunteers work in many different areas of the hospital including: Alexa’s PLAYC (a classroom setting within our Autism Discovery Institute), Speech and Hearing, Gift Shops and Outpatient Care Areas. All Junior Volunteers are placed in support roles to start. After a minimum of six months of services, Junior Volunteers may request a new assignment.
Junior Volunteers are asked to serve a minimum of 70 hours or one semester. We are unable to accept volunteers needing to complete “community service” or “court-ordered” volunteer hours. We also do not offer "shadowing" experiences.
Applications for the junior volunteer program are accepted continually, with the volunteer commitment to begin in either June or November. Once applications exceed the limited number of opportunities available, sessions may be closed at the discretion of Volunteer Services.
Please note – our Junior Volunteer Program is filled for SUMMER 2013 and we are no longer accepting applications for this session. Our next session will take place in FALL 2013.
Download a printable Junior Volunteer Application Form or call 858-966-4021. See How to Become a Junior Volunteer for more information about the application process.