Volunteers play an important role in helping Rady Children’s give the best care to our patients and families. We know volunteering here can give you a wonderful sense of satisfaction – and we’re proud to offer a Volunteer Services program that maintains the standards of excellence for which Rady Children’s is known.
Due to our extensive training and dedication to quality, all our volunteers are asked to make a one-year commitment (100 hours) to volunteer within the Hospital.
Is volunteering right for me? Please use our self assessment tool to determine the best fit for your service.
See a listing of Volunteer Roles at Rady Children’s.
How to Apply to Volunteer
College Student Volunteers – Applications for college students are available twice a year and are accepted in July for a September start and in November for a January start. The application will be available through a link on this site.
Adult Volunteers (post college or age equivalent) – Applications are accepted on a quarterly basis. The next applications will be accepted in early May for a July start date and will be available through a link on this site.
1. Click here to complete the Volunteer Application Form (currently not available).
2. Application forms are processed in the order in which they are received.
3. Completed application forms are reviewed by Volunteer Services staff.
4. Volunteers selected for further consideration will be required to submit references. Prospective volunteers will be notified of the next steps approximately 2 - 3 weeks after references are submitted.
5. Volunteers are also required to have a two-step TB test and Background Check prior to starting their assignments. More detailed information will be provided at the interview.
Rady Children's Junior Volunteer program is open to high school students who are at least 16 years old. Junior volunteers work in several areas of the hospital including our Gift Shop and Information Desks. All Junior Volunteers are placed in support roles to start and after a minimum of six months of service, may request a new assignment.
Junior Volunteers are asked to serve a minimum of 70 hours or one semester. We are unable to accept volunteers needing to complete “community service” or “court-ordered” volunteer hours. We also do not offer "shadowing" experiences.
Applications for the junior volunteer program are accepted beginning each February, for the Summer Program. The application deadline for Summer 2014 is Monday, April 7, 2014. Applications are processed in the order they are received and the session may be closed early at the discretion of Volunteer Services, if the program reaches capacity.
HIGH SCHOOL APPLICANTS - Unfortunately, we have reached our maximum capacity for our Summer 2014 program. We received more than 100 applications and are in the process of reviewing and notifying applicants in regards to next steps. Thank you.
Download a printable Junior Volunteer Application Form (currently not available).