Our canine volunteers help ease our patients’ anxiety and promote shorter recovery times. They provide meaningful experiences for patients, families and staff.
We currently have 33 canine volunteers in our program and they make approximately 15,000 bedside visits and 1,000 playroom visits each year! Each dog is escorted through the hospital by its handler/owner along with a volunteer escort. Visits usually last about five minutes and take place with the consent of the patient, parent/guardian and medical staff.
The goals of this program are:
- Decrease the stress and anxiety of hospitalization and illness
- Provide warmth, comfort and sense of familiarity
- Offer “normal life” experiences
- Provide distraction from pain, medical treatments and daily hospital routines
- Encourage interaction and communication
- Bring laughter and smiles
Meet a few of our very special volunteers by clicking on the links on the left side of the page.
Due to the overwhelming interest in our program and the very low attrition rate, we are not accepting applications to the PetSmart Paws for Hope Program at this time.
Our canine volunteers make approximately 15,000 bedside visits and 1,000 playroom visits each year!