Volunteers play an important role in helping Rady Children’s give the best care to our patients and families. We know volunteering here can give you a wonderful sense of satisfaction – and we’re proud to offer a Volunteer Services program that maintains the standards of excellence for which Rady Children’s is known.
Due to our extensive training and dedication to quality, all our volunteers are asked to make a one-year commitment (100 hours) to volunteer within the Hospital.
Is volunteering right for me? Please use our self assessment tool to determine the best fit for your service.
See a listing of Volunteer Roles at Rady Children’s.
How to Apply to Volunteer
College Student Volunteers – Applications for college students (or age equivalent) are available twice a year and are accepted in September and in January. The next applications will be accepted Tuesday, September 1, 2015 and will be available on that date only, through a link on this site.
Adult Volunteers – Our March session is filled and we are not currently accepting applications at this time. We are very fortunate to have so many people in our community who are interested in volunteering at Rady Children's. Unfortunately, the interest can exceed our availability of volunteer positions. Applications will be available through a link on this site on Monday, June 1, 2015.
1. Click here to complete the Volunteer Application Form (link currently not available).
2. Application forms are processed in the order in which they are received.
3. Completed application forms are reviewed by Volunteer Services staff.
4. Volunteers selected for further consideration will be required to submit references. Prospective volunteers will be notified of the next steps approximately 2 - 3 weeks after references are submitted.
5. Volunteers are also required to have a two-step TB test, proof of current immunizations, drug screening and background check prior to starting their assignments. More detailed information will be provided at the interview.
Rady Children's Junior Volunteer program is open to high school students who are at least 16 years old. Junior volunteers work in several areas of the hospital including our Gift Shop and Information Desks. All Junior Volunteers are placed in support roles to start and after a minimum of six months of service, may request a new assignment.
Junior Volunteers are asked to serve a minimum of 70 hours or one semester. We are unable to accept volunteers needing to complete “community service” or “court-ordered” volunteer hours. We also do not offer "shadowing" experiences.
We opened 60 applications on Monday, February 2, 2015. We are not currently accepting applications at this time, as our summer 2015 session is filled to capacity. We are very fortunate to have so many people in our community who are interested in volunteering at Rady Children's. Unfortunately, the interest can exceed our availability of volunteer positions. Thank you.
Click here to complete the Volunteer Application Form (link currently not available).